Position Title: Student Intern Tutor
Reports To: Program Coordinator
Work Year: January 16, 2023 – May 12, 2023
Educational Level: College Student
The Big Buddy Program serves K-12 students in the East Baton Rouge Parish School System by providing afterschool tutorial services. The responsibility of a tutor is to support students in becoming more independent learners, persist in their courses, and ultimately reach their individual learning goals. Tutors provide individual and/or group tutoring to students across a broad range of courses based on their personal area of expertise. Tutors meet with students weekly to clarify and review concepts taught in class, explain processes and help students solve specific problems. Tutoring supports classroom-centered activities, and as such, the emphasis and content of the tutoring sessions is determined by the student’s needs. Tutors work with colleagues and the coordinator to support their own professional development.
● Provide subject-specific content to help students through individual/group tutoring sessions
● Recognize the different learning styles and student preferences
● Create a professional and welcoming environment by modeling respect for students’ diverse cultures, language skills, and experiences
● Use active listening strategies to allow students to determine content and pace of tutoring
● Utilize listening and questioning strategies as the primary tutoring method to diagnose student needs and monitor progress
● Participate in professional development activities to improve tutorial skills and continue to grow cultural competence and reflection skills
● Utilize feedback and reflection to improve practice
● Recognize primary role to help students become more confident, more successful, self-directed learners
● Provide direct assistance in the use of equipment, learning objects, and materials needed for student success
● Make appropriate referrals to other school resources as needed
Job descriptions are designed and intended only to summarize the essential duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and requirements for the purpose of clarifying the general nature and scope of a position’s role as part of the overall organization.
Job descriptions do not list all tasks an employee might be expected to perform, and they do not limit the right of the employer/supervisor to assign additional tasks or otherwise to modify duties to be performed—even if seemingly unrelated to the basic job. Every employee has a duty to perform all assigned tasks. It should also be noted the order of performance responsibilities as listed in the job description is not designed or intended to rank duties in any order of importance relative to each other.